I finally got my copy of the family support manual used in the 12 Step
program over a week ago. It was a rough week earlier this past week and I finally
broke down and decided to read the steps. I focused on the first three my
eyes were opened. I decided to get a notebook to do some journaling
specifically about the things I learned while I worked the steps. Last
night after group I finally had a chance to read over Step 1 again and do some
soul searching.
Boy, was that a mistake. J/K (well, sort of)! I haven't even
answered all the questions yet (my first goal in working the steps) when I came
across some hard realizations about myself. I share this because I think
(at least for me personally) it's almost easier to deal with (cope with,
ignore, whatever coping mechanism you choose to use) than to deal with our own
issues. It was an eye-opening experience and I expect this journey will
provide many more such experience to come.
I didn't realize that because I was letting my loved one's addiction consume
me that I no longer had the ability to focus and fulfill my responsibilities
and own my choices. I no longer was in control of my life
because my focus was controlling my loved one's choices in relation to
addiction and recovery. I loved that it addressed the fact as we come to
terms with the fact that we are powerless over others - and even our own
negative emotions - we feel the darkness lift and sense hope in the distance
and this only comes thru our Savior, Jesus Christ
Wow! Thats such a big moment. I remember when I had that moment. And I still need a reminder sometimes! lol
ReplyDelete